Wednesday 27 August 2008

A few more beginners blocks

Here are the other blocks I did using the instructions in a book from the library ("Perfect Patchwork" or something like that). You can see the effect of the "shot fabric" that looks like dark turqoise from one direction and dark orange from the other . My favourite block is the Ohio Star pattern on the right - looks like "proper" patchwork!

I didn't like how you had to make the starting squares bigger for the half and quarter triangles though - and have found a few ways lately to get round that! One is a triangle ruler which I got from the "Jelly Roll Quilts" ladies when I bought their book at the recent Festival of Quilts; my other cunning plan is to master "Thangles" templates - which I have read about but not yet bought (the only place in the UK they seem available online seems to be Threads and Patches in Bletchley). Hopefully more on that topic in due course!

No comments: