Sunday 31 August 2008

My 2nd Quilt - Zen 2 fabric & Trip Round World

I completed this quilt piecing (mostly) over the August late bank holiday. The reason I bought it was, I think, that I just adored the border fabric when I saw the quilt made up at the Fennel Shop stand at the Festival of Quilts. "Trip Around the World" is the Mennonite name for this pattern. I found it a good "second quilt" project as it was a simple step-by-step pattern using squares only and four charm rolls. There are 16 identical blocks (4 x 4 layout) and the pattern uses simple "strip piecing", you just rotate the blocks to get the pattern as shown. The instructions in the Irish Double Quilting booklet had an error in that one strip layout had wrong fabric shown, but in the end I figured it out from the photo.

Here is the border fabric from Macower.

2 comments:

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Hi,
I'm a new quilter also. Looks to me look you are doing a great job. Enjoyed your blog.

Julie Fukuda said...

That is lovely! Imagine finding something Zen halfway around the world from here.